Not sure I’ve ever officially announced it, but I joined the Mogwee team within Ning in early April or so, and we’ve been hard at work ever since. One of the more substantial projects we started with was completely revamping the invitation and “Hangout” system, and while the new work has been live on Android for a few weeks, I’m excited to announce that the updated iOS version is now available. If you have no idea what Mogwee is, it’s a group communication and collaboration service that works on iPhones, iPod touches, iPads, Android phones and the web.
You can use it for all sorts of things, including:
- One-on-one communication without paying text messaging fees
- Group communication (you can create “Hangouts” to which you can invite up to 25 people and essentially have a chat room that follows you wherever you go)
- Photo sharing and YouTube sharing (with a improved new version of both coming very shortly)
- Fun social actions including gift giving and sheep throwing
It’s the kind of service that you can use for all sorts of different things, but a few suggestions include:
- Keeping your family connected
- Coordinating weekend plans
- Helping people wrangle/locate their crew at concerts, events, conferences, etc.
- Making a watercooler chatroom with your co-workers (the web version is especially great for this)
We’re adding in all sorts of interesting new features over the next several months, all while continuing to keep things playful. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I’d suggest you git ‘er done.