What an amazing city!
I’ll let the pictures and videos do most of the talking, but here’s a short list of things I learned from our time there:
- Like elsewhere in Europe, their “acceptable amount of ice in drinks” game is suspect
- Same goes for the coldness of their fridges (prepare to embrace that lukewarm lifestyle)
- You’re not getting a Diet Coke, friend
- You’re also not getting any black coffee (Americano it is!)
- Pedestrians are absolutely fearless
- Smiling and nodding as you pass someone is not a thing
- Borscht is everywhere, and I actually enjoyed it!
- The Ukrainians I chatted with weren’t as interested in Chernobyl as tourists are (given that it is a dark time in their history)
- You can tap to pay everywhere, and it’s glorious
- Not only is the namesake of the term masochism associated with Lviv, there’s a full-on masochism-themed restaurant
- It’s generally difficult to be a non-drinker on work trips, but it’s really hard in Ukraine (though I’m now an expert on the Lviv seltzer scene)