It’s been nearly a month since I expanded my Kyle’s Junk Drawer email newsletter to twice a week for paid subscribers, and I’m excited to keep the ball rolling with the addition of a new “Weekend Watches” issue every Friday.
These issues will be short and sweet, and designed to help provide some guidance as you stare slack-jawed into the “what should I watch tonight?” pandemic void.
The first one will come out later this week, and (along with Wednesday issues) will be available to all existing paid subscribers. If you’re not already signed up, I’m bringing back the special discount for new subscribers through 9/30:
Get these posts (along with additional bonus nonsense) emailed to you each week: 📫 Subscribe for free!
Since (with much fanfare) Quibi finally launched on Monday, I’ve spent some time exploring its catalog, and wrapping my head around the high-budget/short-form concept.
All in all I’m generally pretty into it, and I thought I’d share my top picks from the initial lineup, for those interesting in kicking the tires (note that I’m setting aside Murder House Flip and Dishmantled, which both have amazing concepts, but beyond the hilarious hooks aren’t generally show genres that do it for me):
7) Chrissy’s Court: Not sure I’ll watch every episode, but pretty entertaining
6) Memory Hole: Some solid gold from pop culture’s past
5) Flipped: Can’t beat the cast
4) Most Dangerous Game: It’s got Christoph Waltz, what else do you need to know?
3) You Ain’t Got These: A really interesting look at sneaker culture
2) 50 States of Fright: As a “Quibi Insider” for pre-ordering (no biggie, commoners), I got early access to this, and it’s legitimately creepy
1) When The Streetlights Go On: Pretty solid right out of the gate (and as someone at the youngest end of Gen X, I’m a complete sucker for the time period)
Since (I hope!) everyone’s doing their best to stay home during this craziness, I thought I’d gather together some past entertainment recommendation posts, along with some recent monthly media diary entries. Happy watching/listening, and hang in there:
Drop Everything And Watch
Greatest of All TV
Best of The Worst
My God, It’s Full of Stars
My Epic James Bond Post
City of Angels
When You Wake, Ring For Drake
Media Diary (February 2020)
Media Diary (January 2020)