In the event that you haven’t already voted early, or (while unlikely) are somehow still undecided, I implore you to vote for Joe Biden on Tuesday.
He certainly wasn’t my first choice (I was a Warren guy), nor is he perfect by any stretch, but this is arguably the most important election in our country’s history, and he’s the clear choice to keep us from a fascist future that’s honestly too bleak to truly process.
Setting aside Donald Trump’s staggering list of cruelties, collusions, corruptions and crimes, here are five clear-cut reasons to check the Biden/Harris box…
1. COVID-19: Unlike his opponent, Biden takes the threat seriously, and is willing to make the tough decisions to get us through this fiasco.
2. Climate Change: Biden understands the staggering gravity of what we face, and the important of taking decisive action.
3. Civil Rights: Whether it’s the birtherism that spawned his campaign, the eroding of LGBTQ rights or dangerous “stand back and stand by”-style comments to white supremacists, Trump has made the country a far more hostile place for far too many Americans.
4. Misinformation: As Nicholas Kristof puts so well: “He replaces accepted facts with lies, baseless accusations, support for QAnon and even a conspiracy theory that President Barack Obama had SEAL Team 6 killed instead of Osama bin Laden. In both supporters and opponents, Trump nurtures hate. He is what Proverbs 6:19 calls ‘a person who stirs up conflict in the community.'”
5. Immigration and Asylum: Trump’s ghastly track record speaks for itself, and is an absolute slap in the face to America’s noble reputation as a beacon of hope around the world.
I wish everyone well over the next few guaranteed-to-be-insane days (and don’t forget to take care of yourself). Let’s do this. Let’s save our country.